Tackling disability unemployment
Why this is so important
Having a job is important for so many of us to lead financially secure and fulfilling lives, and disabled people are no different. But our research shows disabled people are being ‘shut out’ of the jobs market due to negative attitudes and discrimination. This needs to change.
So with Scope’s disability and employment expertise, Virgin Media’s digital and technological know-how, and your support, we’re going to change the workplace for good.
What we're doing
Together, Scope and Virgin Media launched Work With Me in Autumn 2017, and we’ve got a big ambition – to support 1 million disabled people get into and stay in work by the end of 2020.
- We’re providing advice and skills to disabled people to build confidence when applying for jobs
- We’re working with other businesses and Government to improve policy and practice by sharing our learnings
- Together with disabled people, colleagues and line managers we’re campaigning for change so that disabled people have an equal opportunity to work
We understand that employment provides the answer to many barriers faced by disabled people. We’ll be putting digital at the heart of the solution.
If you are a disabled person looking for information and advice to support you getting into or staying in work, please visit Scope’s Support to Work service which is funded by Virgin Media.
For more information on how we can support you to find jobs, work experience and volunteering opportunities, please visit our employment content page.
What success looks like
By the end of 2020, we will:
- Support 1 million disabled people with advice, skills and confidence to get a job or stay in work.
- Shift perceptions of disabled people in the workplace and society.
- Inspire policy change to support disabled people to realise their career ambitions.